Monday, July 18, 2011

I kissed a stone (but I'm not sure I liked it)

Greetings from cold, wet & windy Dublin.  Eire has not shown us her best side the past few days.  Camper fever is setting in and Dad's getting grumpy.

Yesterday we visited Blarney Castle as Tan was keen to kiss the Blarney Stone, I succumbed as well lured by the promise of greater eloquence (which I hope you will benefit from in this and all future posts).  It's also apparently rated the No.1 thing to do in Ireland, and makes it onto the Discovery Channel's list of 100 things to do before you die.  Emily and Sam were also enticed but Ollie thought it was too gross.  I took a picture of some anti-bacterial spray the attendant had alongside him, which I never saw him use - maybe you needed to request a ritual cleansing.

There was quite a queue which was going to get even longer as we were behind an Italian school teacher at the entrance who paid for 150 students.  We made our way very quickly to the castle for our kiss.  I must confess it was what you'd expect kissing a stone would be like, cold and hard, there wasn't any love coming back from the stone that's for sure.  A bit like those times you haven't quite said the right thing and try to squirm back into your wife's affection.  "No you look nice in that darling, I was only joking about how large it makes your backside look".

As it was drizzling on and off we declared it a rest day (translation shopping day for the girls).  We visited Blarney, the biggest little village in Ireland first.  The Blarney Woollen Mills promotes itself is as the largest Irish store in the world.  They aren't joking.  I enjoyed a lengthy bout of people watching outside following what I thought was my thorough tour of most of the store.  One of the highlights of this, the Israeli Salad incident in particular, is well recounted in Emily's blog I believe.  It really was amazing how much Israeli food they brought with them, and I'm still wondering about the hommous in a tin.

The rest of the day was spent at the local shopping centre.  One of the benefits of a camper is you have your home in the carpark, so once you get bored head on back, boil the kettle and enjoy afternoon tea and a book while you wait.   The other advantage is when you visit the supermarket you simply wheel the trolley to the camper and unpack your groceries straight into the cupboard and fridge, life doesn't get any simpler.

This morning we set out for Dublin with a detour through Waterford.  We set Jane for the 'City centre' option having no where in particular we wanted to see, the small residential street we ended up in having entered Waterford through the industrial area wasn't quite the scenic route we had envisaged.

Anyway have uploaded some of the photos from Blarney but we haven't really done much more so far.  Could eloquently bore you with the intimate details of life in foreign caravan parks such as comparisons of pay vs. free showers, showers in the toilets vs. separate unisex showers, or Tan's exciting tumble dryer quest but might leave that for another day.

Camper Day 14

No comments:

Post a Comment