Monday, July 4, 2011

Greetings from somewhere in Oxfordshire

Sorry I can't be more specific, I'm really not sure where we are it's been a long trip today and we had to keep going until we found a campsite that would have us.  There a bit busier than we thought.  I'll backtrack to yesterday and bring you up to date.

We managed to make our train from Paddington in plenty of time, thankfully we bought our tickets the day before as it was the day of Royal Henley Regatta and Paddington was extremely busy as all the trains from London to Henley go from Paddington.  Great people watching though, very smart outfits, like Melbourne Cup day except many of the guys wear college blazers which are quite colourful stripes.

Lovely train ride through the countryside to Taunton, very friendly driver to the camper rental firm, which was on a farm at Ilminster. Sarah, the lady who runs it, was very hospitable, made us a cup of tea while we set ourselves up.  Even left a fruit cake in the camper fridge for us.

Next the scary part, leaving in the camper.  Wasn't really too bad, we headed south to the coast at Lyme Regis, setting of the novel The French Lieutenant's Woman and centre of the Jurassic Coast.  The cliffs are famous for fossils.  Had a walk on the pebble beach and the Cobb, then enjoyed the best fish and chips I have ever had in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment